Pinterest and Blogging

Like many others, I love Pinterest. It’s a great way to organize beautiful things, and it’s so dang easy. It also is interesting for me to look at patterns in my taste and such. Pinterest has expanded my blog-exploring, and I enjoy being able to branch out.

But, there’s a but. In some ways, Pinterest has taken some of the “magic” out of a great number of blogs that I read. I know what posts are coming based on their weekly pins. Well, for me, it’s sort of like peeking at the corners of a Christmas package– you know what’s coming, and you wish you hadn’t seen it.

As a blogger, there are times when I used to, and still would love to, post collections of things I love, interesting things I’ve found, or styles I’m crushing on. Now I just feel like it would be a rehashing of my (and others’) Pinterest pins. Wedding gown favorites, fabulous alternative dresses, excellent shoes, beauty, and so forth. For instance, I have a newfound bug for wanting ombre hair color, and love love colored tips. But, I’ve already visibly pinned these things.

In short, blogging is about creating original content, which I love doing, but it’s also a lot about inspiration gathered from across the board. (I’m talking inspiration in the visual sense, not verbal. I’ve never been one to write many posts about feelings, deep thoughts, or the like. I appreciate bloggers who “go there,” I just don’t. I like reading their advice, lots.)

What are your thoughts on how Pinterest has affected/is affecting blogging, or if you’ve even noticed it. (Or even know what Pinterest is!) I might just be talking crazy.

show hide 14 comments

MariaJanuary 27, 2011 - 10:49 am

You’ve just hit the nail on the head on why I haven’t started playing around with Pinterest. I feel like I’d be showing my pokerhand and vice versa. I’d rather be in the dark about what’s coming on my fav blogs :P So I definitely feel ya on this one!

Andnowlights (Kristen)January 27, 2011 - 10:51 am

AMEN! I love seeing people’s inspiration boards, but sometimes it gets a little too “LOOK AT THESE PRETTY THINGS!” and not enough thought-provoking content.

The Thirty-Something BrideJanuary 27, 2011 - 10:51 am

I am still totally trying to figure this out. Sometimes websites like this are total overload for me.

LaurenJanuary 27, 2011 - 10:54 am

Yep, exactly. Maybe Pinterest needs to have the option to have private inspiration boards? Or maybe that would be too sneaky.

Steph CJanuary 27, 2011 - 11:18 am

I honestly hadn’t even though of that! It makes total sense, though.. I guess I’m using it more right now for wedding inspiration purposes and am not on it too much. I’m sure if/when I decide to utilize its many other purposes, I may feel the same way.

I like the private inspiration board idea!

anna and the ringJanuary 27, 2011 - 11:35 am

Yes there is an overload of pretty but in some way I love to see the explosion.

I love how I can use the boards to inspire myself and my writing.

I would love my own secret boards too! Great idea.

AllieJanuary 27, 2011 - 11:53 am

Thanks for writing this post! I’ve had the same thoughts for some time. I agree- private boards would be wonderful. Maybe as bloggers, we need to challenge ourselves to pin things that WE find in our visual/inspiration search and not use Pinterest as our pond to fish from.

NodakademicJanuary 27, 2011 - 12:04 pm

I think tumblr has done the same. So many bloggers now have a tumblr AND a blog, and so they don’t blog as much anymore. Or you have to go to two places only to see an elaboration on one, of what you just saw on the other. That’s why I’ve resisted getting a tumblr, or a pinterest account. I just don’t have that much original content!!

colleenJanuary 27, 2011 - 12:38 pm

I don’t do much repinning — I use it to catalog the stuff I find. But of course there’s risk in that. Someone else can I repin what I found and then use it on their blog first :)
I like the visual representation of my style and it helps me put together a collection. I think its most brilliant use is for someone redecorating or planning an event. You never lose links and you don’t have to save hundreds of pictures to your computer and gosh, you don’t need to have dozens of tabs opened up at once! That’s what it’s great for. For bloggers? I am questioning its wisdom.

KimberlyJanuary 27, 2011 - 9:14 pm

I have never used Pinterest! I’ve heard of it and visited the website once, but I’m sooo scared I will lose hours of my life to it. Which, I’ve heard can happen!! Also, I’m like you… I kind of like short bursts of fun/lovely stuff to blog about. Soo… Pinterest might be fun…. oh goodness.

CourtneyJanuary 28, 2011 - 12:44 pm

Do you have any Pinterest invites left?? Would love one if you’re willing to share! :)

Laura *You Stir Me*February 7, 2011 - 1:26 pm

Wow, I never really thought of it this way. I guess it is true though and I’m certainly guilty of using it to find images for some of my posts. I’m not a very active Pinterest user, I think I only have three boards going, but I agree with Colleen that it’s a great way to compile ideas, colors, and themes, then step back and really have a good idea of what you like. Sometimes I find it hard to come up with a design vision and I find Pinterest helpful in that respect. I totally agree with you, Lauren, that it is kind of like peaking at Christmas presents and wishing you hadn’t…it’s so hard to resist, though, isn’t it? Great post.

Also – I’ve been a lover of your blog for a while now and love the direction you’ve taken it, post-wedding. Keep up the great work!

RachelleFebruary 10, 2011 - 3:00 am

yes! you are spot on with this one…unfortunately! i also wish there were private boards — for me and for those folks i follow. thanks for sharing.

MichaelaApril 16, 2011 - 4:49 am

You’re so right about this!

That’s why I’m registered on pinterest with a different account than the one, my blog bliss! is registered under. I have a nick that doesn’t relate to my blog or my real name too much and I don’t link my pinterest account from my blog. Works pretty well that way :)

Your email is never published or shared. Required fields are marked *

There was an error submitting your comment. Please try again.