Toasts, toasts, toasts!

While we were fielding contact crisis 2k10, everybody meandered over to the restaurant to get set up.

We finally arrived, and everybody got seated for the toasts!

JP’s father went first. He welcomed everyone, imparted some words of wisdom, and then somehow we all started discussing how to properly count like a German. (You know, in case there is an Inglorious Basterds situation and we don’t want to get shot.) The Americans tried to do the German hands, and the Germans tried to do our American-counting hands.

Made for some pretty fun and interesting photos, I must say.

Then, my father spoke, and like always, it was sweet and filled with sage advice.

Apparently Mom and I are both shoulder-leaners.

Then it was turn for the Maid of Honor and Best Man speeches. Laura went first, and wrote it all down because she knew she’d start crying if she didn’t.

She talked about the things she’s learned from me, one of which was “less is more.” I tend to go overboard, and she’s typically the one who pulls me back to earth. Her speech was sweet, funny, and yeah, we both cried.

Then JP’s Best Man, Joe, got up to give his speech.

Joe started telling stories, and JP kept interrupting him. I had to make him stop, cause that Joe guy is pretty dang funny.

He also told everybody about how I faked being bad at Guitar Hero to get “lessons” from JP. I am a sly one.

Finally, JP spoke, and began with challenging my bridesmaid June to a duel. Apparently, after we first met, June gave JP that plastic saber while we were out at a bar. You see, she was the first “JP” in my life, and had told JP she’d fight for me. And that he had to keep the plastic sword, which he did.

Then he went on to say some incredibly sweet things, and we all looked on adoringly.

After the toasts, everybody was laughing, hearts were warmed, and tummies were ready for food. However, first, a little mischief had to be made…

How did your rehearsal dinners start out? Did you go food first or toasts first? Sentimental or funny/roast-like toasts?

*All photographs by Matt Miller of Our Labor of Love.

show hide 9 comments

Jessica LynnAugust 25, 2010 - 2:32 pm

I am so in love and completely and utterly jealous with the photos from your rehearsal dinner—and the location! Haha your recaps are blowing mine out of the water :)

Becky BAugust 25, 2010 - 3:04 pm

Beautiful! Matt’s photography reminds me a lot of yours… before I saw you in some of the photos I thought you were taking them. ;)

MirandaAugust 25, 2010 - 3:52 pm

I just want you to know I think you are beau-ti-ful. I stumbled onto your blog via BowieBride, and I’ve spent the last 3 hours reading past posts, checking out your (awesome!) wedding video, and drooling over your gorgeous beauty and fabulous writing style. Thanks for sharing so honestly!

kathleenAugust 25, 2010 - 4:23 pm

At our rehearsal dinner we started off with a welcome/toast from both dads (well, after cocktails and snackies) and then ate, and I think all the rest of the toasts came between the entree and dessert. Most toasts were sentimental/funny, but my best friend ROASTED me (by which I mean aired my most embarrassing shenanigan from college in front of my dear professors from grad school) and made me cry tears of shame. Sentimental tears came later. Still trying to figure out how to pay her back someday…

LaurenAugust 25, 2010 - 4:53 pm

This photos are incredible.

You and JP are perfectly made for one another.

You are gorgeous and I wish I could hide my face in my hair about half as cute as you.

This is probably my favorite recap post to date.

So many little snipits of events worth capturing and remembering. :)

CaLAugust 25, 2010 - 4:57 pm

These are all so amazing! What a good photographer he is!

thehickbrideAugust 25, 2010 - 5:00 pm

The photos, oh, how I love them! You two are beautiful and adorable! I can not wait to see more recaps of yours!

FARoutAugust 25, 2010 - 5:08 pm

Terrific comments! Terrific photos! What a wonderful evening!

[...] pulled it back together and had a blast at our awesome rehearsal dinner, starting with toasts and roasts, followed by us being handcuffed together, and ending with a good old fashioned beat [...]

Your email is never published or shared. Required fields are marked *

There was an error submitting your comment. Please try again.