Get with the program!

I designed our programs to be design-friends with our invitation suite. I’m a stickler for consistency, so they work well together, but I also went a little more whimsical with these guys. The pressure was off for the programs, and I had quite a lot of fun with these. This weekend, JP and I spent a good two days printing, cutting, folding, measuring, nailing, threading, sewing, and assembling our eighty programs. He was a marvelous helper, and we are both so thrilled with the results.

The assembly of these guys was not an easy one, even though we knocked it out in two days. A quick run-down of the supplies used and, well, how in the heck we did it is most definitely  in order. Spelling it all out makes us seem totally bonkers– Me bonkers for coming up with it, and him bonkers for going along with it. Photos first, insanity second!

Oh, so you’re curious as to what all went into these puppies? WELL…

Supply List (for 80 programs)

• 400 sheets of 65 lb. cover
  • Part of a spool of carpet yarn from the 70s (My father works in textiles, and we have a mountain of this stuff around. It’s my favorite for pretty much everything.)
  • Rotary trimmer
  • Scissors
  • Two tack nails
  • Hammer
  • Ikea catalogue
  • Bignormous needle
  • Pencil
  • Ruler
  • Computer (le duh) equipped Illustrator and InDesign
  • Printer with 2-sided printing capability and a butt-ton of extra ink (We have an Artisan 710. Love it for this stuff.)
  • Fonts used: Gotham, Carousel, and Memoriam Pro

Assembly (for a single program)

1. Print out cover from Illustrator and 4-pieces-of-paper-requiring booklet (the insides) from InDesign. Use 2-sided print settings with a saddle-stitch binding setting.
  2. Trim the paper to 6.5″ by 11.5″. The reason I didn’t just use a half-letter was that I didn’t want a “We printed this out and folded it in half” look. Not that there’s anything wrong with that, I’m just nuts and a weirdo about sizing.
  3. Fold all 5 pieces of paper for the booklet. (Sweet JP did the majority of this step. This was the most time-consuming part, it seemed.)
  4. Stack the pieces of paper one-inside-of-the-other. This is where the saddle-stitch setting comes into play. Everything is magically lined up.
  5. On the innermost sheet, mark 2 inches in from the top and bottom along the fold.
  6. Over the Ikea catalogue, keep the pages lined up and hammer the nail into each of the two marked points– this is to start the holes for the yarn.
  7. Thread the needle, and go in one set of holes and out the other. Be careful not to stab yourself. I did about 40 times.
  8. Tie a lovely little bow, and move on to the next program. Lather, rinse, repeat.

There you have it! Our crazy-sauce labor of program love. I hope our guests actually look through these guys. I need to find some people to hand out [read: be pushers] our programs.

What approach did you take with your programs? Did you go to crazy lengths and develop an overly-involved (but totally fun) process?

show hide 15 comments

Liz @ Dogs & WineJune 7, 2010 - 6:21 pm

I am in font/design love. I am positively swooning.

Also, love the use of “nota bene”.

BrancoprataJune 7, 2010 - 6:33 pm

These are great! Love the color and the layout… actually i think i love the all thing!! Congratulations!!

bowie brideJune 7, 2010 - 7:06 pm

good god you rock. i am going to attempt to make our programs too… perhaps i will be coming back here for the tutorial!

colleenJune 7, 2010 - 7:09 pm

SO awesome Lauren!

kathleenJune 7, 2010 - 11:55 pm

Gah, damn, these are awesome! I am jealous of your non-hole-punched binding holes… I wish I had done that. Having a big chunk out of the spine bugs the crap out of me, but that was what we had time/money for, alas. I love everything about these — the size, the color, the fonts… kickass.

LaurenJune 8, 2010 - 10:23 am

Thanks, guys! :)

Valerie,
The fonts that I used for the headers was Carousel, and for the body was Gotham. :)

ValerieJune 8, 2010 - 10:54 am

What font(s) did you use for the display and body text? I really adore them!

DognbirdJune 8, 2010 - 12:31 pm

Looks like a big undertaking but they are so gorgeous. Couldn’t love them more! Enjoy the week, only a few days left!

LanaJune 8, 2010 - 2:12 pm

Thanks for the tutorial. I’m doing half-letter book programs like this, but I’d been waffleing on how to assemble them. This looks like a good way of doing it! I also love that you used yarn- I am stealing that (knitter here!). Also thanks for the tip about the saddle stitch binding in Indesign. I was just going to print them off of Photoshop but it doesn’t always line up right.

KiaraJune 8, 2010 - 5:40 pm

These are beautiful, I love the font and colours and the tutorial is very welcome.

lizzieJune 10, 2010 - 2:33 pm

BEAUTIFUL programs! I love the tutorial! Great choice of font and colors!

Miss CJune 10, 2010 - 11:12 pm

Just found your blog, love it!

I love that ee cummings reading!

Ams // Beyond BeyondJune 13, 2010 - 8:14 am

Gorgeous and I love Memoriam Pro it is my favourite font in the whole wide world.

DeneeJune 14, 2010 - 1:31 pm

Sometimes a little bit of insanity produces the most amazing product (or relationship or occasion….)! The color is stunning and the font is just FUN!! Great work. :-)

Programs | Getting HitchedJune 7, 2010 - 7:34 pm

[...] incredible do these handmade programs by Lauren of I Love You Much look? And not just because they’re yellow – the fonts, typesetting and simple style are [...]

Your email is never published or shared. Required fields are marked *

There was an error submitting your comment. Please try again.